Arizona Student Unions 'Thanksgiving To-Go' packages add food to your plate – not more stress
When Michael Omo, senior executive chef and director of quality assurance for Arizona Student Unions, first arrived at the University, he wanted to start a Thanksgiving tradition that members of the campus community could bring home to their families.
He created the annual Thanksgiving To-Go and Bake Sale program, which has been a hit ever since. Last year, more than 200 meals and 1,100 bakery items were ordered.
One again, Student Unions is ready to help take some of the load off your shoulders by preparing your Thanksgiving meal for you. Each to-go package includes one entrée, a salad, two starch sides, three vegetable sides, one bread and one dessert.
Because of the pandemic, there will be a new element to Omo's Thanksgiving To-Go. Smaller, reheatable plates will be offered at Student Unions markets for students staying on campus who aren't able to travel or be with family. Omo says he and his team "created a meal that you could eat while connecting with family and friends over your computer."
Beginning Monday, employees can place an order online. The deadline to order is Tuesday, Nov. 24. Pickup will be Wednesday, Nov. 25. Those who prefer contactless pickup can call the On Deck Deli to arrange for a dining employee to bring the package out to their car in the roundabout north of the Student Union Memorial Center. Orders also can be picked up from the On Deck Deli inside the Union, where there will be directions guiding customers to the pickup area. Masks and social distancing are required.
Each Thanksgiving To-Go package is $79 plus tax and will feed up to eight people. This year's package includes:
Entrée (choose one):
- Tom Turkey (with pan gravy), 6-8 lbs., pre-roasted
- Prime Rib of Beef (au jus), 5-6 lbs., pre-roasted
- Roasted Vegetable Wellington (with Apple Balsamic Chutney), 5-6 lbs., bake at home
- Roasted Candy Beets and Quinoa Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Vinaigrette
Side Starches (choose two):
- Autumn Sage and Sausage Stuffing
- Vegetarian Sage and Mushroom Stuffing
- Creamy Yukon Mashed Potatoes
- Cauliflower Mash with Roasted Corn
- Spiced-Maple Garnet Yams, Pecans and Apricots
- Herb Roasted Potatoes
Vegetable Sides (choose three):
- Maple Roasted Harvest Root Vegetables
- Heirloom Carrots and Brussels Sprouts with Mustard Apricot Glaze
- Cheddar Cauliflower Pearls with Roasted Garlic
- Cream Spinach with Fried Onions
- Cream Sweet Corn
Bread (choose one):
- Multigrain Artisan Loaf Bread
- Cranberry Walnut Orange Cornbread
- Sea Salt Soft Rolls
Dessert (choose one):
- "You Bake" Black and White Bread Pudding
- Apple Blondie Bars and Pecan Bar Brownies
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Any of the items can be purchased individually by using the A La Carte form on the Thanksgiving Offerings To-Go website. A la carte orders must be placed by Tuesday, Nov. 24, at 1 p.m. Pickup will be Wednesday, Nov. 25, at the On Deck Deli.
The order form for the Bake Sale items will be available online and can be submitted online or in person at the On Deck Deli. Bake sale items include coffee cakes, breads, Danish claws, specialty cakes and pumpkin pie. Orders must be submitted 24 hours prior to pickup date. Pickup dates and times are Monday, Nov 23, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 24, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. and Wednesday, Nov. 25, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
If you have any questions, contact Emily Romero at 520-621-7038 or email@example.com.
Gabriela Harrod is a student employee in the Office of University Communications.