Employees Honored for Years of Service
Several employees will be honored next week for reaching milestone years of service at The University of Arizona.
More than 1,000 employees have been invited to the annual Service Awards Luncheon, which recognizes benefits-eligible employees who have worked at the UA for 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 or more years.
The invitation-only ceremony, hosted by President Robert N. Shelton, will take place April 8 in the Student Union Memorial Center's North Ballroom.
"It's a way to thank the employees for the time and effort they give to the University and let them know that they're appreciated," said Kathy Hawkes-Smith, director of University Events, the office that coordinates the luncheon.
While there will be no 50-year honorees this year, 14 employees will celebrate their 40th year at the UA and one will hit the 45-year mark. Ten-year honorees make up the largest group on the guest list, at 390. Altogether, the invited employees have served more than 19,500 years at the UA, according to data provided by Hawkes-Smith.
During the ceremony, which will be attended by Shelton and Provost Meredith Hay, honorees will receive gifts that correspond with their number of service years. Anyone with 30 or more years of service will have their photograph taken with Shelton.
The following gifts are awarded annually:
- 10 years: Pen and letter opener in a wooden box
- 15 years: Small leather portfolio with a an image of Old Main, painted by local artist Diana Maderas, on the cover
- 20 years: Four drinking glasses with the block A logo
- 25 years: A swivel desk organizer
- 30 years: Wooden tiered "treasure box" to hold jewelry or office supplies
- 35 years: A letter-sized leather portfolio with an image of the UA's bell tower, painted by Maderas, on the cover
- 40 years: A hardcover copy of Phyllis Ball's book, "A Photographic History of The University of Arizona, 1885-1985"
- 45 years: A large mirror embellished with a sketch of Old Main
- 50 years: A Maderas panting of Old Main on a large ceramic tile
Human Resources' Employee Records staff works with departmental payroll representatives each year to determine who is eligible to attend the Service Awards Luncheon or Retiree Dinner.
This year's Retiree Dinner, to honor those retiring from the UA during the 2008-2009 fiscal year, will take place April 16. About 175 people have been invited to the dinner, Hawkes-Smith said.
Attendees will have their photograph taken with Shelton and will receive a throw blanket with the block A on it.