Employees Show Off Artistic Talents at 'On Our Own Time' Exhibit
When they're not in a lab, behind a desk, in a classroom, or bustling around campus, some University of Arizona employees are creating unique works of art.
From painting and photography to sculpture and sewing, the talents of UA staff and academic personnel are displayed every year at the Staff Advisory Council's "On Our Own Time" staff art exhibit.
On view at the Union Gallery through April 21, the exhibit is a "recognition of otherwise unnoticed talent," said Staff Advisory Council President Randy Livingston at the exhibit's opening reception last week.
This year, 49 employees submitted 78 works of art. First- through third-place award winners were selected in four categories â€“ painting, photography, sculpture and mixed media â€“ by a committee of judges. The judges also selected one Best of Show winner.
This years award winners are:
- Christine Mach-Handgis, best in show for her painting "Desert Beauty"
- Bettsy Valencia, first place in painting for "Overwhelming Leftover"
- Michael Koerner, first place in photography for "Flag Stacks"
- Mary Lor, first place in sculpture for "Trash Can"
- Albert Gonzalez, first place in mixed media for "Ruins of Portobelo"
- Jeff Bliznick, second place in painting for "All He Needed Was A Bigger Hammer"
- Ed Desteiguer, second place in photography for "Storm Window"
- Marvin Landis, second place in sculpture for "Dolphins"
- Melinda Collins, second place in mixed media for "Starry Night"
- Helen Gaus, third place in painting for "Stuart"
- Cinda Gaynor, third place in photography for "Sunflowers"
- Marjan MacPhee, third place in sculpture for "George Carlin's 7 Dirty Words"
- David Scheerens, third place in mixed media for "Rainbow Forest"
Watch a video from the exhibit's opening reception at http://uanews.org/node/19096.
The Union Gallery, located on the third floor of the Student Union Memorial Center, is open Monday-Friday 11 a.m.-5 p.m. and Saturday noon-4 p.m.