The Meal Without the Mess: Union Again Offering 'Thanksgiving Feast To-Go'
For those wanting to enjoy the fruits of their labor this Thanksgiving without the actual labor, the Student Union is again offering "Thanksgiving Feast To-Go" packages. Each one includes an entree, two salads, several side dishes and a dessert.
"One of the things I like about being a chef is that I get to create memories," said Michael Omo, Student Union senior executive chef. "Around the holidays, we get together in groups with friends or family. Usually this is over a meal. The best compliment for a chef is to remember how great the food was."
Omo says demand has been strong. Last year, his team made 270 meals, including 1,000 pounds of turkey, 600 pounds of stuffing, 1,000 pounds of mashed potatoes, 2,000 pounds of vegetables and 400 pounds of cranberry sauce, along with 700 pumpkin pies and 400 fruit pies. This year, he expects to make 350 meals.
Those looking place an order can do so online or by calling 520-621-7038 or 520-363-3618. The deadline to order is Tuesday, Nov. 26, at 1 p.m. Pickup is Wednesday, Nov. 27, at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. or 2 p.m. at On Deck Deli in the Student Union Memorial Center food court.
Each package is $78 and serves up to eight people. The meals include:
- Roasted candy beets salad with goat cheese and pumpkin seeds
- Roasted butternut squash, roasted red pepper, quinoa, arugula and white balsamic vinaigrette
Entrée (choose one)
- Oven-roasted whole Tom Turkey (10-13 pounds) with rich pan gravy
- Prime rib of beef (pre-roasted, 5-6 pounds) au jus
- Peppered pork loin (pre-roasted, 5-7 pounds) with apple chutney
- Autumn sage and sausage stuffing
- Creamy Yukon mashed potatoes
- Spiced maple garnet yams, pecans and apricot
- Roasted tricolor cauliflower
- Medley of root vegetables
- Cranberry-orange relish
- Wheat and oat pull-apart rolls
Dessert (choose one)
- Sour cream apple pie
- Sweet pecan bars
- Pumpkin pie with Chantilly cream
On Deck Deli will also host a bake sale Nov. 25-27 for those wanting pies or other baked goods for Thanksgiving. Pre-orders are accepted online.
Help Others Enjoy the Holiday
Employees who want to help others fill their holiday tables have several ways to give.
- Bring a donation to the Campus Pantry at the Student Union Memorial Center information desk through Wednesday, Nov. 27. Find more information about the pantry and the items it needs most at the Campus Pantry website.
- Make a monetary donation to the Campus Pantry through UA Cares. This year's enrollment period for payroll deductions ends Nov. 22. Donations can be made through UAccess or this pledge form.
- Make a one-time donation at any time on the University of Arizona Foundation site.