Nearly 300 UA Retirees Honored for Service
Nearly 300 UA retirees who have worked a collective 6,300 years at the UA were celebrated last week at a dinner hosted by the Division of Human Resources.
Fidelity Investments and TIAA co-sponsored the event, which honored 292 retirees from across the UA. Guy Atchley, who retired in March from television station KGUN after more than 30 years there, gave the keynote address.
UA President Robert C. Robbins was unable to attend the event, held Thursday. He provided remarks to the honorees via video.
"Each of you has been an integral part of the University's success," Robbins said in the video. "You have prepared our students for a changing world, launched discoveries that make Arizona and the world better, and built memories that will last a lifetime."
Several of the retirees have been at the UA for 40 years or longer. They are:
- David Alberts, Regents' Professor of Medicine, 43 years
- Patricia Anders, Professor in the Department of Teaching, Learning and Sociocultural Studies, 42 years
- Bruce Barrett, Professor in the Department of Physics, 48 years
- Hermann Flaschka, Professor in the Department of Mathematics, 46 years
- Richard Glass, Professor in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, 48 years
- Nova Hinrichs, Business Manager in the Department of Cognitive Science, 40 years
- Jack Jokipii, Regents' Professor of Planetary Sciences and Astronomy, 45 years
- Richard Kinkade, Professor in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, 43 years
- Warren Kittrell, Software Engineer at Steward Observatory, 43 years
- Boris Kozolchyk, Professor in the James E. Rogers College of Law, 49 years
- Roger Kramer, Associate Professor in the Norton School of Family and Consumer Sciences, 40 years
- Charles Otto, Professor in the Department of Anesthesiology, 43 years
- Debra Pearson, Business Manager at the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences' V Bar V Ranch, 42 years
- Lori Piper, Senior Program Coordinator for Campus Health Service, 40 years
- Jeffrey Rill, Principal Engineer at Steward Observatory, 40 years
- Michael Rosenzweig, Professor in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, 43 years
- Deborah Smith, Library Information Associate in University Libraries, 41 years
- Susan Wilson-Sanders, Associate Director of University Animal Care, 45 years
Other notable retirees and the most recent titles they held include:
- David Allen, Vice President, Tech Launch Arizona, 6 years
- William Arnett, Regents' Professor of Astronomy, 30 years
- Susan Karant-Nunn, Regents' Professor of History and Director of the Division for Late Medieval and Reformation Studies, 19 years
- Carrol McLaughlin, University Distinguished Professor of Music, 33 years (deceased)
- Bruce Wright, Associate Vice President, Tech Parks Arizona, 31 years
To view the full list of retirees, click here.
Employees with retirement dates after May 7 will be invited to next year's ceremony.