Welcome Summer at ASM's Annual Solstice Celebration
Celebrate the longest day of the year at the Arizona State Museum, which will offer hours of multicultural performances, crafts and food on Saturday.
"Marking the Solstice: A Multicultural Celebration" is ASM's annual community event welcoming summer. Now in its eighth year, the celebration features live music and dance, a film screening, a book reading, hands-on arts and crafts, telescope viewing and food.
The celebration begins Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at the museum and is open to the public.
Performances on the outdoor, solar-powered stage in front of the museum include:
- 4:30-5 p.m. Danza Mexica Cuauhtemoc, Aztec music and dance.
- 5:15-5:45 p.m. The Human Project, cutting-edge American hip-hop dance.
- 6-6:30 p.m. Flamenco Sonora, passionate and dramatic Spanish dance.
- 6:45-7:15 p.m. Sankosa, vibrant African drumming with a Caribbean stilt-walker.
- 7:30-8 p.m. Molehill Orkestrah, lively European Gypsy music enhanced by world influences.
- 8:15-8:45 p.m. Fushicho Daiko, thunderous Japanese drumming.
Performances inside the museum include:
- 5:30 p.m. Frances Delgado, telling stories of Yaqui life.
- 6 p.m. Roni Capin Rivera-Ashford, author of â€œMy Nanaâ€™s Remediesâ€ and â€œHip Hip Hooray, Itâ€™s Monsoon Day!,â€ reading selections from her books.
- 6:30 p.m. Regina Siquieros sings songs and tells stories about the saguaro cactus and Tohono Oâ€™odham life, followed by a demonstration of saguaro harvesting at Old Main.
The finale will take place at 9 p.m. on the ASM east lawn, and will feature the Flam Chen Pyrotechnic Theater Company and the Seven Pipers Scottish Society performing â€œRites Ov Spring.â€ This mythical story includes fire special effects, stilt acrobatics and dramatic choreography performed to the sounds of Celtic pipes and drums.
The museum is located on University Boulevard, just east of the UA Main Gate on Park Avenue. The event is free, and free parking will be available in UA parking garages.
For more information, visit http://statemuseum.arizona.edu.