Other Professional Services (OPS) Payment to International Scholars & Faculty Employees

View All


Printer-friendly version PDF version

Other Professional Services (OPS) Payment to International Scholars & Faculty Employees

To: College Deans, Center Directors, & College and Department Business Officers


Office of the Provost

Office of International Faculty and Scholars

Subject: Other Professional Services (OPS) Payment to International Scholars & Faculty Employees

Date: January 30, 2015

The Office of the Provost and the International Faculty & Scholars office have combined efforts to ensure that compensation to foreign national employees at the University is properly managed. As such, we are providing the following guidance to assist departments across campus in evaluating whether, if at all, the use of OPS is appropriate to pay foreign national employees. Foreign national employees include those who are in J, H, O, and TN status.

J-1 Research Scholars and Professors are authorized, by the U.S. government, to participate in a pre-approved, specific program. Details of their program, including funding, program activity and site of activity are included in the printed DS-2019. Any deviation from the pre-approved program, including funding, must be pre-approved by the International Faculty & Scholars office.

Other Professional Services consist of fixed-fee assignments for services not tied to hours, not covered by the institutional base salary (IBS) and that do not count toward an employee's maximum Supplemental Compensation Authorized Earnings. Work is performed outside the employee's regular assignment.

Since J-1 Research Scholars and Professors may not engage in activities that are outside of their listed program activities, they are not, by definition, eligible for OPS.

If, for example, a sponsoring department wanted to add activities to a J-1 Scholar’s program that would occur in or for another department, the departments would need to work together to split-fund the position.

Other, non-immigrant status, categories hold the same restrictions. H, O, and TN employees are only able to engage in employment upon approval by the U.S. government. Any changes in employment must be requested and approved by the US government before the change in employment may begin. Since activities outside of the government-approved employment are not permitted, OPS, again, by definition is not appropriate.

Before any changes to employment are made on behalf of a foreign national employee, please contact the International Faculty & Scholars office first at 626-6289.

UA@Work is produced by University Communications

Marshall Building, Suite 100. 845 N. Park Ave., Tucson, AZ 85719 (or) 
P.O. Box 210158B, Tucson, AZ 85721

T 520.621.1877  F 520.626.4121

Feedback University Privacy Statement 

2020 © The Arizona Board of Regents on behalf of the University of Arizona